Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Will You Be My Boyfriend?

I don't know if you know this about me but I'm kind of obsessed with fashion. Somewhere between my senior year of high school and graduating from the University of Chicago, my knowledge of labels and trends went from nada to damn near obscene in its breadth.

Thankfully I have enough common sense not to send myself into debt over all the swoon-inducing clothes I lust after and stick to consignment stores, Target and sale racks. My graduate student budget will keep my purchases strictly academic or out of necessity (like new snow boots), but that doesn't stop me from looking...

Photobucket

I love the slouchy look that's making the rounds. It exudes this, I'm-too-cool-to-care attitude that renders the wearer incredibly chic. I can picture myself wearing this Topshop Sequin Boyfriend Blazer ($160, so named for its "manly" oversized proportions) with a white v-neck shirt and skinny jeans.


Photobucket

LaRok's clothing toes the line between feminine and hard-edge "rocker" style. I like the fit of their Launch Party Blazer (on "sale" for $188) and the black piping.


Photobucket

I really love dresses and skirts. I like the pleating on the front of this Vanessa Bruno skirt and the bright royal purple color, but not the price tag ($253.50).


Photobucket

This budget friendly option from teen fashion catalog, Delia*s, has a full skirt fun for twirling in and cool beading on the waistband ($38.50).

Photobucket

Vena Cava is a high-end brand designed by Parsons' graduates Lisa Mayock and Sophie Buhai. The duo creates dream clothing for the urban sophisticate, mixing industrial details like zippers and beading with great silhouettes and prints. This top is on SUPER sale at Hejfina, a boutique in Chicago's Wicker Park ($88).

Photobucket

I tried these Michael Kors' booties ($179) on at a Macy's when I was home in Kansas City and loved them. The shape of this bootie may seem intimidating, but they're incredibly wearable. I haven't reached the point in my life where I'm OK with spending over $50 for shoes but I would definitely cop these on sale.

Photobucket

For someone who wears heels as frequently as I do, you would think I would have a nice pair of black closed toed heels. But alas, my shoe rack is lacking in that department. These Calvin Klein black pumps ($98) are interesting as well as functional thanks to their snake skin texture and 1/2 inch platform (which helps when walking in heels higher than 3", in my opinion).

No comments: