Friday, May 30, 2008

Cartoon Cartoon


I have repressed a lot of my adolescence, mostly because it was composed of the kind of embarrassment and awfulness that would lead to some kind of 'Nam war vet never-ending flashback and/or arrested development... and I'm not talking about the TV show.

However, I do remember the icons of teenage angst I identified with. MTV's Daria Morgendorffer with her caustic wit and deadpan was my animated alter ego #1, but Emily the Strange came in a close second. She hated everybody and, with her gang of cats and slingshot, ruled the night. I drew images of her in my black and white spottled composition books alongside diary entries of why and how much high school sucked. Possibly because of the success of graphic-novel-turned-movie Persepolis, Emily the Strange is hitting the big screen.

Excited to see how this develops.

No comments: