Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pictures from the Rally



I'm so glad I got to be a part of the rally. The magnitude of Obama's election didn't fully hit me until I saw Jesse Jackson cry, saw people dancing in Kenya, spoke to my father about how family in Nigeria called and congratulated him as if he had won, and did a quick review of civil rights history unmarred by talking heads' analysis. Being of my generation where a lot of the groundwork has already been done to become whatever I want to be, it's easy to forget or gloss over how far African-Americans and women have come. I had a "post-race" view of the election; of course Obama would win—he was the best man for the job despite the racially driven anxiety and attacks right wing voters.

But man... he has broken a tremendous glass ceiling for African-Americans. He had the weight of an ugly history on his shoulders, and is toting it along with acknowledgment of its presence but a confidence that it can be shaken off, allowing for a united America.

Enough with my ramblings. Click here for a slideshow sampling of the pictures I took:

No comments: