Friday, September 12, 2008

"I See Those Flashing Lights..."


(photo credit: People)


Man, these [expletive]s got me
I hate these [expletive]s more than the Nazis
--Kanye West, "Flashing Lights"



Kanye West, rapper, performer and arguably Chicago's favorite native son, was arrested yesterday after a scuffle with a paparazzo at LAX airport. During the skirmish, West reportedly broke a camera valued at $10,000; he was charged with vandalism (really?) and bail was posted at $20,000. West's road manager was also arrested for vandalism and battery.

Now, I love celebrity gossip (even though I like to rationalize that I'm not a part of the problem since I only read the gossip online and don't buy the magazines). I know that love gives the paparazzo reason to stalk celebrities for the photos that fetch thousands for their pockets and millions for gossip magazines. But, I can understand why at 7 in the morning Kanye might have flipped. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

I'm pretty disgusted with the celebrity culture we live in that places more importance on what the girls of The Hills are doing over the fact that as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin charged rape victims for the rape kits used to procure the DNA of a victim's assailant. [Opposing viewpoint, for the sake of presenting both sides, here]

Really, the flashing lights should be pointed at the people who are making the decisions (or, as the case may be, poised to make the decisions) that affect policy and the way we live our lives. Not at Kanye West, or any other celebrity, trying to get through airport security and live their normal, everyday lives. They are just like US you know.

No comments: